Thursday, October 25, 2012

Good Morning,
I call places that sell pop, ice cream, milk shakes, candy, razor blades, canned meats, magazines, pencils and pens "geedunk".  Mom always says, "What are you talking about?"  I try to explain.... I looked it up on the Internet and this is what came up.
These are photos of land based and on-board Navy Ships geedunks.


 Quote
"To most sailors the word geedunk means ice cream, milk shakes, candy, potato chips and other assorted snacks, or even the place where they can be purchased. No one, however, knows for certain where the term originated; there are several plausible theories:

In the 1920s a comic strip character named Harold Teen and his friends spent a great amount of time at Pop's candy store. The store's name was the Sugar Bowl but Harold and company always called it the geedunk for reasons never explained.

The Chinese word meaning a place of idleness sounds something like "gee dung."

"Geedunk" is sound made by a vending machine when it dispenses a soft drink in a cup.

It may be derived from the German word "tunk" meaning to dip or sop either in gravy or coffee. Dunking was a common practice in days when bread, not always obtained fresh, needed a bit of "tunking" to soften it. The "ge" is a German unaccented prefix denoting repetition. In time it may have changed from getunk to geedunk.

Whatever theory we use to explain geedunk's origin, it doesn't alter the fact that Navy people are glad it all got started!"

****
To me the re-dunking part makes the best sense.

***
I feel good this morning and I have caught up on some indoor chores.
I re installed my Window 7 software and all else that goes with speeding up a sluggish computer.

I rarely use my c drive for anything, I try to save everything to my 2 terabyte GoFlex Desk External Drive.
That makes it easy to clean up my computer, because there is nothing there of any importance.



1 comment:

  1. It's funny how things that you learned young stay with you your entire life. That's a very interesting word, "geedunk."

    ReplyDelete