Wednesday, January 21, 2009

From CNN

The Rev. Joseph Lowery, a leader during the civil rights movement and former president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, delivered the inaugural ceremony's benediction Tuesday on the west front of the U.S. Capitol.

Reverend Joseph Lowery.

"We truly give thanks for the glorious experience we've shared this day," Lowery, 87, said in delivering the prayer.

He asked that Americans cling to the spirit of fellowship embodied at the inauguration.

"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right," Lowery said.

3 comments:

  1. This is when I tuned into the inauguration and I laughed my head off at his little attempt at poetry, but now that I see it written down it makes sense except for the part about black giving back. What does that mean?

    I personally would have used the word "stand" in the place of "give" and that would have made sense to me. I guess this guy knows what he's talking about and it makes sense to blacks.

    Did you notice that all during the last couple of years, the race was not supposed to be about getting a BLACK man elected just because he's black, and yesterday it was ALL ABOUT a black man getting elected just because he was black. I heard people say that it was just that time for a black and that if anyone black would have run, they would have also been successful, no matter who they were. This was being said by black people on national TV. I personally don't agree and think that Obama just had the right kind of charm that everyone liked whether they were black or white or green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I heard that but like this man said it is not about color.
    I also know that other countries have elected women and blacks as leaders.
    I did like the fact that he told the Islamic terrorists that he would talk and have peace or he would fight, it was their choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made it clear to the world where we stand. The Arabs governments are political and move around words like slopes of a wet stone.

    ReplyDelete