Monday, October 8, 2012

Good Morning,
I took the day off yesterday and watched football and NASCAR. Mom was off and worked on some photos her aunt had sent to ad to mom's family history (her father and mother).
This morning I was thinking of the hard hat I wore during the ice of 1977-78. I think there is a photo of the hat here on this blog.
***
Some folks do not think much of a hard hat but this hat is something special. See the the red round sticker at left (you may have to click on the photo to get a better view); it says Ice and Snow 1977.
I got the sticker and $87.00 dollars while in the hospital after a hernia operation. The sticker and money was the governments appreciation for working 12 hours a day 7 days a week for two months in the 1977 -1978 winter storm. Click on the hat to see some of the photos of those days.
Anyway one day at Smithland (sometime in the 1980's I decided to bring my hat to the lock to display and use the hat. After the first day on display I noticed that someone was trying to take the sticker off the hat. I promptly brought the hat back home where it hangs in our laundry room. That sticker means a lot of very cold hard frost bitten work plus the hernia and I was not going to let someone get the sticker for a trophy. 

***
Anyway that is the story of the hat. Here are some photos of that ice here  and  here.

I feel good this morning though I am a bit overweight somewhere in the neighborhood of weeble and some roly-poly fun humor.
I am going out at 0900 to clean the pool maybe for the last time this year (iffy). When that is done then I have to air up my lawn mower tires (one is flat) and put the mower away in the shed. The pool man may come by today to winterize the pool and put the winter cover on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment