Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Dan'l

Frankfort Cemetary, Frankfort, KY

We were in Frankfort, Ky. high up on the hill overlooking the bend in
the Kentucky river in 1968. The river was high, chocolate and swift. We sat on
the ground. Viewing the scene, we sat in peace, inhaling the moment.
Watching the turbulence far below. I sat with Dan'l and Laurel. Laurel
was holding an old green bottle that she had found. I told Dan'l that
Laurel and I would be driving back to Marion come sundown. He asked
how far Marion was? I said a hundred miles. He looked at us puzzled. I
said that times had changed the way we traveled. Our walking days had
passed. He looked out over the river while working a knife into a
piece of wood, whittling. He stared passed us, out over the raging
river, solemn and quiet. A hundred miles, he says to himself? I
pointed down to the 1967 Mustang down at the road. Let's look see he
says. He stands tall in his buckskins. We stride down to the Mustang
swiftly. He walks around it, his mind racing, his eyes marveling at
the machine before him. You see his intelligence absorbing the
carriage before him. I could see that a bear would think twice before
challenging such a man. Such power, intelligence and grace. We said we
had to go, we thanked him for his time, we would meet again sometime.
Driving back, Laurel asked if I enjoyed the day, I said yes. Next week
Laurel wants to go visit Ol' Abe.

http://earlyamerica.com/lives/boone/index.html

***
Laurel and I visited Daniel Boones Grave, It overlooked the Kentucky river in Franfort Ky. The State Capitol was in the bend of the river below us.



1 comment: