Saturday, February 5, 2011

Some folks do not think much of a hard hat but this hat is something special. See the the red round sticker at left (you may have to click on the photo to get a better view); it says Ice and Snow 1977.
I got the sticker and $87.00 dollars while in the hospital after a hernia operation. The sticker and money was the governments appreciation for working 12 hours a day 7 days a week for two months in the 1977 -1978 winter storm. Click on the hat to see some of the photos of those days.
Anyway one day at Smithland (sometime in the 1980's I decided to bring my hat to the lock to display and use the hat. After the first day on display I noticed that someone was trying to take the sticker off the hat. I promptly brought the hat back home where it hangs in our laundry room. That sticker means a lot of very cold hard frost bitten work plus the hernia and I was not going to let someone get the sticker for a trophy.

2 comments:

  1. remember seeing you in those hats....lots of memories....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that hard cold snowy winter very well. It was the hardest winter ever as we dabbled in cutting and selling firewood and it was sure in demand. I had frozen banged up cold fingers from hauling and stacking wood all that cold winter, and was stung by a honey bee in below zero temps when we robbed a honey tree. We thought it was safe enough but a bee got trapped in my long sleeved shirt and warmed itself up and then YIPES! it stung me.

    ReplyDelete