Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fathers Day

Today we honor our fathers. Most folks in our family liked my father because he worked hard to give them a home or he was always good to them as an uncle. But I have a hard time with the image of my father not because of how he raised me but what is missing - my mother. I hold my father totally responsible for that loss in my life. My Mothers Day is a memorial for battered women. I understand that he held a space on this planet and he fathered me. I give him that space as we as a nation give space to the dead in our cemeteries. I honor the fact that fathers in this nations are responsible for being there beside their families in all phases of life. Our president speaks with determination about our poor fathers on how to stay home and be responsible.
Children should not be abandoned and left to their own devices. Children should not be a roll of the dice.
I give thanks to the planet and god that from the start I had a mother and father.

1 comment: