Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Compost Organic

I mowed today and it was almost too thick for our mower. The grass is so thick that I have a lot of grass clippings on the lawn. Because it is going to rain tomorrow evening I will have to pick up the clippings tomorrow morning. Last year I placed the clippings on the garden spot and the garden looks great but no vegtables are going there because of the deer. I will place the clippings on the Hackberry stump so it will break down quicker.
I have been gathering compost for 30 years. Thirty years ago it was all clay. With the addition of earthworms and compost our yard is nice. Not the best but a 100% improvement since 1975.
I have done what I can organically.

Rows of heavy grass clippings.

2 comments:

  1. We've been setting our mower blades higher just so we don't have to rake up the grass clippings. We have to mow every week anyway. There's one section in our yard that we sometimes still have to rake the grass up. I usually just try to scatter it with the mower as much as possible. We used to put the clippings in our garden too when we mowed it low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mowing? what that's? my back yard is still a mud pit....ah the joys of spring in my yard. Lovely flowers, tall wet grasses. Maybe I should plant some cattails in the muddy spots, ha ha

    ReplyDelete