Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Emergency Plus






I did not have the wood stove, I had gas burners on my stove top. I did not have a scanner or hand crank light-radio. I had city water but a well is better. Solar panels may help with the sun shinning in winter. Tapered candles produce more light but fat round candles are stable and last longer. Our cell phone was a dud. Our dial phone worked. Our gas water was a godsend. All electric is convenient with electricity but without electricity it is just nothing but smoking mirrors. A cold ice locker underground is out of the question but maybe a generator would help there for freezing and cooling. A bicycle fan would help move heat but our home is very efficient.
At the top of this post is the governments recommended list for emergencies. My sister Sandy has a nice unvented natural gas heater with battery spark start.

1 comment:

  1. Instead of that battery operated flashlight you need the kind that you just have to shake to use. Batteries run down after a while, but those boyscout flashlights last forever.

    I also have a radio that operates by simply winding a handle...no batteries required. The radio has many functions, a light, siren, red blinker for road emergencies, weather alert stations, AM/FM, TV station sound only,and comes with attachments to charge your cell phones.

    ReplyDelete