Monday, January 5, 2009

The High Cost of Living

27 degrees outside and partly cloudy here in Western Kentucky. This is the 1st working day of the New Year. All the festivals are litter in trash cans along the board walk ; city and county workers are picking up the debris.
I checked the cost of living in Marion, Kentucky with living in the small city of Sebastopol, California and the difference was over $41,900 dollars.
The price of gas here at its highest a few weeks ago was $4.00 dollars a gallon just as it was in Las Vegas on the same day. The cost of Living in Las Vegas was only a $14,000 difference.
I heard this lady on C-Span say her husband made $80,000 dollars a year; she helped her two boy who could not find a job get by; to her things were getting worse and she was just getting by.
I helped our children when I could but now it is impossible.
We are the average retired family in the United States. My wife has gone back to work to maintain a standard of living.
***
About the post below:
I remember the folks in the city of Arcadia, California tearing down a solid two story redwood home to put in more parking area (we had to move out).

Big Yellow Taxi
by Joni Mitchell

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Dont it always seem to go
That you dont know what youve got
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
Put em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see em
Dont it always seem to go
That you dont know what youve got
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Hey farmer farmer
Put away that d.d.t. now
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees
Please!
Dont it always seem to go
That you dont know what youve got
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Late last night
I heard the screen door slam
And a big yellow taxi
Took away my old man
Dont it always seem to go
That you dont know what youve got
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot


Woodstock written by Joni Mitchell

Woodstock sung by CSNY

No comments:

Post a Comment