Tuesday, May 8, 2012


Kay, Marta and Virginia
A Story about Marta: 65 years ago in Pasadena California my hair was long in a Buster Brown Look which was the rage in those days. I had dimples and looked cute. So one Holoween Marta and her sister Ray dressed me up in a 5 year olds Easter Dress mildly painted up my face and put black patent shoes (Mary Jane's) on me with white socks so I looked like Shirley Temple

We went trick or treating and they told everyone everywhere we went that I was to shy to dress up in a costume. We had fun that night with a lot of great laughs and I filled my bag with treats.
***

The previous photo had a Halloween story and so does this photo. When this photo was taken in Lexington, Kentucky. The home had an upstairs with a window that overlooked a dead end street. Mom had a album of creaky, creepy sounds and we placed the speakers in the window and play the music. We darkened the home with an orange light on the porch. My sister Sandy powdered my hair and stuffed a hump on my back; made a rope chain and tied it around my neck as her leash to lead me around while I shuffled around to the door with a tray of treats. She scared my face and said to the children," Don't mind him he's harmless?" At that time in my life I had a snaggle tooth.

***
Here is a description of me before the haircut, shoes and new clothes.
What did Tomas look like in late 1967?
Picture a farmer with his rubber boots shoveling crap out of a barn. Remove the farmer and leave the rubber boots with the dung standing in place. Place Tomas in the rubber red balls. Place some orange corduroy pants on Tomas, they are a little to small and short, there is a gap between the bottom of the trousers and the red ball rubber boots. A leather belt with a harness buckle made by  lovely Sylvia. Put on blue check long sleeve cotton shirt, the shirt you would see on a lumber jack. Find yourself a army wool blanket grey in color, wear it like Ming of Flash Gordon days of gone by. Place the cape on Tomas, beg one of the girls at Morningstar for a patch to place on your wool cape. The patch is only one of many patches being sewed together to make Lou a quilt.
Tomas has black/brown hair, he stands in his outfit, his mustache too long and gross, smiling with a silver tooth bright next to empty space. He is agile, passive and aggressive, hard working and stoned. Dip him in some dirty slurry and rinse as best you can.
Now we have a gentle creature, he is very happy to meet you, very happy to know that you are alive. He is very happy to receive the crumbs on his plate. He worships the ground he walks on.
He is only one, there are many more like him, they are all different and unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment