Thursday, November 25, 2010

No one pays an old man to think or write

In the middle of the night in Western Kentucky it a Holiday Called Thanksgiving. A day we thank the planet for the abundance of food it offers us. I did not slave in any field today (or this year) for I am too worn out, so I will be thankful that society still cares for me and has not bundled me off to some distant star. I may have bundled my self as I meet with the elderly monthly. That is my class, my age, my ability.
I remember with fondness my grandfather's (Don Pablo) ninetieth birthday that I attended. He climbed the steps up the hill to my aunt Edith's home in Los Angeles, California. There may have been over a 120 steps up to her home on that hill. Some of his sons could not climb those steps. I was just in my 20's at that time and I felt proud of his strength. If only I were as strong as he, I am 69?
I climbed that many steps over 400 times a year for at least 20 years between 1980 to the year 2000 before finally succumbing to worn out ankles and a sore spine.
I have a long way to go to be as tough as that man (Pablo at left in the photo (1936)) but I sure come from some worthy stock and again I am thankful.
Well I am thankful that I am alive and that I eat the food provided by society.

Mom is still capable of labor and I just do my best with a computer, my days of hard labor are over so I asked my being, "What can I do just sitting?"
Sigh
No one pays an old man to think or write but I am sure thankful for that sigh.

1 comment:

  1. You don't give yourself enough credit. You may not hold an outside job, but the things you do there at home are far more than some people do at their paying jobs.

    I love you and you're far from being done. Your back and ankles are worn out from all they did for you in the past, but you still have a great mind, and you can write.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete