Saturday, August 22, 2009

Segregation In Our Schools

Did you know that the Federal Government pays for segregation in our schools?
It is called private schools, charter schools and public schools. When a family cannot afford to go to a private or charter school they go to a public school. Public schools are the schools that are left over either by distance, poverty, wealth or knowledge. Charter schools are segregated by wealth and knowledge. Private schools are segregated by religious faith and discipline.
When I was growing up in California I went to public and private schools. The private school was a Catholic school which was not funded by the federal government at that time. Today all schools are funded.
The worst part of the problem is the old saying, "When you lay down with dogs you get fleas." I always felt that if you hung out with smart of good people it would rub off on you. So now you see the problem when children of poverty hang out with only those of poverty they only know poverty. Money can change all that and that is the problem. The money causes the segregation. I realize that some children will lift themselves up by intelligence but what happens to the rest of them. There is no equality in segregation.

4 comments:

  1. I learned more from my parents both good and bad than I did at school concerning the issues you are talking about.I believe your parents are the most powerful teachers we have in life.Then as adults we decide for ourselves what to do with it. But that's just me.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people raised in poverty are very successful people. I don't think money has anything to do with how successful you become. It also depends on your definition of success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not as pronounced in rural areas as in big cities and home life does reflect some part of how you are. My life in Pasadena was going to be full of Mexican pachuco's and I was lucky my dad moved me to Alhambra when he did even though I had no clue as to who I was. The move to Temple City was traumatic but I learned from the Shattler family. So it is who you are with that teaches you who you are and which way you are headed. As in the proper environment. Because public schools are void of wealth they tend to be poor without support and a spectrum of societies children.

    ReplyDelete