Thursday, January 15, 2009

After going to the doctor yesterday who told me to lose weight we went to Murray Kentucky in our red truck to return a mattress Kitten Yarn had loaned us for the Holidays. When we got there we all went out to lunch at a local Mexican Restaurant. I had my favorite fancy burritos while Motherkitty hunt and picked at the menu at something different and good. Most Mexican Restaurants in the United States have the same ingredient in most of their dishes (hamburger meat); I avoid this by going strait for the sizzling fajita of meat, chicken, shrimp and create my own burritos.
I told Motherkitty that we could open up a taco stand here in Kentucky and make a fortune with her tacos. Mom makes the best tacos in the states. Simple just like hamburgers.
After lunch we went shopping since Motherkitty and Kitten Yarn each got paid. I got a set of brass hinges (for a jewelry box that Talon tore apart) and a hard block of bird food for the woodpecker in Kitten Yarns tree which I put up as soon as we got back to Kitten Yarns. It had a steel chain so soft that it was useless (Made in China - so it fell apart (it fell on Eliana's head)) so I had to resort to a small bungee cord I had in the red truck to hang the hard brick of Wood Pecker food.
Eliana is having a Monkey Party in March so Motherkitty bought a handful of Monkeys for the party. We had a tie down net in the back of the red truck to hold the monkeys until we got home last night.
Today Motherkitty will wash her clothes for work and take it easy for the day. She enjoys meeting people in the check out lines at Wal Mart. I will fix the jewelry box.
0730 It is 4 degrees upfront and 9 degrees out back. That is cold and if you do not have any wood burning in the coal stove you have frozen pipes.
I took a nap at 0530 and listened to "Mitch" McConnell, Barack Obama then C-Span before rising out of bed and loading the dish washer.
While at Kitten Yarns I proposed that Dancer Girl (seven) learn to do laundry which took glances and frowns from Motherkitty and Kitten Yarn. I figured intelligence is intelligence. I remember my step mother Margie having me do chores in 1950 and then later when my sister came to live with us that she had to do chores too. She came to live with us when my dad's mother died (1952 (Natallia)) in San Gabriel.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a very full and also enjoyable day with Kitten Yarn and the grands.

    Household chores never hurt anyone and I learned a lot from my Stepmom Margie, and also from my dad. She did like to keep her house in immaculate condition but needed everyone's help to get this done. I see nothing wrong with the people who help making the messes to also help in cleaning them up. I don't remember washing any clothes at that age, but those were ringer washer days.
    My kids used to help me fold the clothes and put them away, and also sort them out before washing. I can remember asking Sharon to please NOT WASH just one or two items everyday, but to also add some other clothes into the washer when she was around 10 oe 11 yrs. old.
    I started off my kids with age appropriate chores that progressed with their ages so that by the time they learned that other kids got an allowance, I added more difficult chores that they could volunteer to do for extra money to add to a small weekly allowance of spending money.

    I woke up to a dusting of snow here today. I don't think it was enough to call off school, but I don't know because I woke up after time for the school bus to pass by here. It's cold outside.

    Brian & Reva invited us out for supper with the family today, so that is all we have planned.
    Reva's mom is visiting with them for a while and it's always nice to spend time with them. I'm looking forward to this.

    Jimmy & I went to the movies on Monday and saw Clint Eastwoods movie, Grande Toreno. I liked it and especially the way Eastwood would growl under his breath. He was a grumpy old man and played the part very well. The movie made me cry and at the end of the movie as I went into the bathroom I could hear other women sniffling around in there too.



    My dad felt the same about his yard as Margie felt about the inside of the house, so outdoor chores were also routine for us. I mowed the lawn at age eight and later on with a gasoline self-powered lawn mower. It was my job to keep the lawn dandelion free and I got paid one cent for every ten dandelions I pulled out by the roots...no roots no penny.

    Margie was a very good cook and fed us well although at the time I wasn't used to the type of meat that she fixed, so meal time was a particular difficult time for me there...it was a very traumatic time that still haunts me to this day. As a child there I was forced to sit at the supper table until I ate all of my meat that I was served. I didn't, so I was forced to sit at the dinner table til bedtime. The best thing that ever happened was the day we were allowed a pet dog. I would sneak the dog the meat under the table while no one was looking and soon the dog wasn't allowed in the house during mealtime. You had trouble with veggies, so we also traded meat for veggies when no one was looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my children do get age appropriate chores and they do help with washing plastic dishes in the sink. Natasha and Eliana empty the dryer and sort and fold and put away their own clothes. They also help me fold and put away towels and washcloths. Talon helps put away washcloths and kitchen towels and bibs. Tasha can get get most of the clothes out of the washer into the dryer, and she knows how to check to see if the clothes are dry and restart the dryer if it needs it.

    They mostly need help with putting things away after they get them out...especially coats, shoes, and toys. I have had several systems in place over the years, and the kids have generally been big helpers. I just have not been that consistent in keeping a routine for them and also I am not good at saying NO when people give me free things for the kids.

    My main goal now is to simplify their clothes so that my laundry situation is not overwhelming. To get clothes that don't fit or they don't wear out of their drawers/closets.

    I have a 30 gallon bag in my dining room full of clothes to donate, and several smaller bags ready to go out the door.

    I think giving unused things away and keeping only what we need will keep me from being overwhelmed.

    Right now, Tasha's main priority is getting her schoolwork done, then it is taking care of family, laundry, helping at mealtimes.

    I think mom and I were just thinking that she needs more age appropriate chores.

    Sandy, did you use a simple push mower to mow? wondering about that

    ReplyDelete
  3. All we had at that time was a reel mower like the one at this link.

    ReplyDelete